Saturday, April 27, 2013

Shroud Cay

4-26-2013
We are at Shroud Cay. This is the place that’s famous for the dinghy ride thru the mangroves to the ocean. It has to be done on high tide so we will do it tomorrow morning. 
We are anchored in the green area.
The route we took thru the mangroves to the ocean.

A private island, Little Pigeon Cay
Beautiful sunset
We invited FFF to our boat for breakfast before we went for the dinghy ride. We had a long ride to the creek. The ride thru the mangroves was great. I took hundreds of pictures and then had to get rid of a lot of them. Shay keeps telling me I can’t post all the pictures I take. But I keep taking them anyway. 
Beautiful
Emma and David leading the way.


Looking toward the ocean

Exploring
 
This is a video of the beach

Emma, getting the perfect picture!
Are you with me?




We have seen a lot of these "rock sculptures" on several islands.



A cute "sandy-footed" couple!

We could see the tropic birds flying around when we anchored. Margaret from Rocking B had told me about the birds with the long tails. I had seen in the cruising guide that they were nesting during March and April. When we got to the ocean we saw lots of them flying around. We think there was a nest close by, but couldn’t find it. I bet I took at least 50 pictures of the birds, hoping to get a decent one. And I think I did.  Emma took a bunch, too. Thank goodness, we both got some good shots.
Tropic bird
We think there was a nest close by, but David couldn't find it.

Emma got this picture. You can see the long tail.
There's a nest nearby.
Looking back to the creek.


Emma and David
These areas are "mangrove nurseries".

Looking back toward the inlet.
Brave explorers.
Guess what happened to the "brave explorers" on the long dinghy ride back to the boat? We ran out of fuel. We talked about it on the way over but it was too late to turn back and fill up the tank. When we left the beach heading back we told David we were low on fuel. He said he would rescue us if needed. They had told us about rescuing a sailboat with their dinghy and towing them a long way to shore. The man gave them a very nice reward and they joked it was their "Five Flip Flops Tow Boat UK" money that they would us for treats like ice cream.

We got to almost back to the boat and ran out, so we got at FFF Tow Boat UK rescue. I told David not to expect such a nice reward from us!

We are  leaving here tomorrow, heading to Allen’s Cay. We have a lot of places to explore and a limited time to do it. It is famous for iguana.

No comments:

Post a Comment